Pages

Monday 22 October 2012

Beauty and fashion disasters growing up!

About a week ago I saw a post on Lauren Conrad's blog talking about some of her beauty mishaps as a teen, and it got me thinking (and seriously cringing) about some of the things I used to do and wear as a kid growing up in the nineties and noughties.

So I thought I'd take a trip down memory lane and share some of my fashion and beauty disasters!

Hair

Hair mascara
I had a bright blue one of these, and it looked exactly the same as regular mascara. I imagined having these lovely streaks of colour ( yeah bright blue...lovely) but instead it looked like I'd just put paint on my hair, it dried all hard and gloopy and was an absolute nightmare to get out!

Crimping
Oh I loved crimping! My BaByliss appliance had three separate crimping plates, PLUS a flat one for straightening, which straightened about as much as a circle! I used to crimp all over..even my fringe..so cool!

Lemons
'Put some lemon juice in your hair and go and sit out in the sun, it will really lighten your hair' I tried this about three times and it never worked. It just left me with dark blonde really tangled hair.


Make up

Glitter
Glitter, glitter everywhere! Rolled all over my arms, on my eyeshadow, in my lipgloss, sprayed all over my hair, I LOVED glitter!

Bindis
I used to wear these on my forehead to school and then sometimes if I was feeling really adventurous, (probably at the weekend) I'd wear two at each corner of my eyes.


Fashion

Skirt/trousers
Why oh why, surely you only need one or the other!? Needless to say I loved mine and had a beautiful pair of cream ones! 

Kappa
Oh the shame! I was quite a tomboy growing up and aged around 11 I only really wore sports clothes, and this included some absolute gems. A velvet orange and blue Adidas top, a le coq sportif over the head raincoat, and my pièce de résistance, (I wore this A LOT) my Kappa track suit, with navy bottoms and an acid yellow top! (I know you're well jel!)

Shoes
Wow, where do I start? I had navy blue platforms which I begged my parents for when the Spice Girls ruled my world.
Black clogs -so impractical when you're a kid and trying to do important stuff like running and they keep slipping off!
See through glitter jelly shoes! Probably my favourite shoes as a girl, before my tomboy phase. Seriously comfy and I felt so grown up with a heel!

So that's just a snippet of my 'not so cool style' growing up!
Please leave a comment with any of your fashion or beauty mishaps, I'm sure there are loads that I've missed and I'd love to hear them and reminisce!

K x

28 comments:

  1. lol, love this posts its so cute
    I remember them jelly shoes I loved mine so much, I think I wore them everyday till they broke x_x lol

    Kiwi..x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) me too, I was obsessed! X

      Delete
  2. Oh I remember ALL of this! Crimping was worst ever and that was before heat protector sprays too, I still thought I was super cool though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I'm surprised I had any hair left wiith all the stuff I did to it! X

      Delete
  3. I had blue glittery hair mascara haha! ahh i had the infamous babyliss crimper too!xx

    http://stumbleduponablog.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, talk about frazzled hair! Any special event I had to go to, crimping was always my go to style!

      Delete
  4. I definitely went through a phase of wearing trackies when I was younger! :P

    Mind for a follow back and help me get started on my blog? Would really appreciate it :) Thank you!

    http://andreadxo.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha this made me laugh... hair mascara looks like alien bird poo!!

    I’m also running a giveaway so would love if you could enter! http://champagnelambinibudget.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/models-own-giveaway-in-fuzzy-peach.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. who didn't love crimping, actually, I still love crimping, i want some crimpers now... xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I think I still have mine lurking around somewhere! X

      Delete
  7. Hey there :) I nominated you for a Liebster Blog Award :)
    Check out my latest post on my blog for more details! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very pretty and classy, love the look :)
    I follow you now ! Wanna be your friend!
    Follow me back on facebook ,twitter,and GFC and add me as a friend in GFC
    love you dear :)

    Marcchanelette.blogspot.com
    Marcchanel'ette

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness.. i can't even begin to explain how many fashion mishaps I had! Too many, i definitely loved crimping lol! I am in love with your blog, following asap!

    xxxx

    bellas-wardrobe.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! Following back xx

      Delete
  10. I just had a major flashback - Hair Mascara, mine was bright pink and always to be worn with my purple sequin dress. So glad I grew out of that - haven't grown out of glitter though and probably never will.

    themaibug.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I still do like a bit of glitter, just not to the extent I used to! X

      Delete
  11. Ahhh yes, crimping. I was also partial to an MC Hammer pant myself. Oh dear!

    Hope you have a great week hun :-)

    Vanessa x
    www.vanessaeves.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have a fantastic blog, you know that?! Keep it on! : )

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have reading blogs for well over a year now and this is the best post I have ever read! From the hair paint to the skirt/ trousers! Oh the shame ay hahaha! Love your blog and will defo be following xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow what an amazing comment! Thank you!! X

      Delete
  14. OMG i wore hair mascara in my massive crimped hair and also totally LOVED the weird skirt/trousers trend! Your blog is delightful :)

    Please check mine out http://jessica-chelsey.blogspot.co.uk/

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha why did I never think of that!? I never put two and two together! Thank you sweet, following back x

      Delete
  15. Haha omg I did basically everything you listed :D

    xx, V

    itsthevworld.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment below, I love to read your stories and opinions. Plus I'll definitely check out your blog, and maybe become your newest follower! x